Demand for this event has skyrocketed. We have filled to capacity the last two years and we are expecting another sell-out in 2018 – even with the added gym capacity. So procrastinators beware!
This low-key play date is offered early in the season and is targeted for teams with little previous experience. Each team will get three matches.
Though officials will be provided and score will be kept, this tournament will be less about competition and more about learning rules, rotations, score keeping, etc.. We will not be crowning a tournament champion.
This tournament is typically a learning experience for score-keeping parents as well. To aid in the effort to teach parents this skill, we present the following link, which has very good instructions on scorekeeping: http://aavball.com/coaches. Please ask your scorekeeping parents to do their “homework” in advance, and then use the playdate as a low-pressure vehicle to get comfortable in their roles.
Simply upload and complete the embedded 2018 MS tourney registration form and follow the instructions contained thereon.
20 teams — primarily “A” teams, with a few “B” teams — will play at Southern Volleyball Center. 16 “B” teams will play at Providence Christian Academy on 7340 McGinnis Ferry Road, Suite 200 in Johns Creek, GA.
- Will be posted a week prior to the event
- Doors open at 8:00 a.m.; competition begins at 9:00
- to the extent possible we have endeavored to pair “A” teams with “A” teams and “B” with “B”.
- With few exceptions, teams follow the same rythm they would find in a standard tournament with four-team pools (e.g., play – rest – play – rest – rest – play)
- The preliminary schedule can be uploaded by pressing this link: MS playdate competition schedule 2017 This schedule was changed slightly from the original and was updated to the website Monday, 8/21 at noon. Unless we have made an egregious error such as scheduling the same teams to play each other twice, this is the final version.
Food Tables — It’s going to be crowded in both gyms.
At SVC: we will provide enough tables for 16 teams to use 1/2 table for food inside the gym. If the weather is nice, tailgating outside is permitted and encouraged. If you avail yourselves of this option, please set up your tents in the grassy area in front of SVC’s premises- as shown in the picture below — NOT in the parking field and certainly not in front of our neighbors’ vehicles. Please do not bring your own tables into the gym, as we do not have room for them.
At PCA: There is room inside the facility – adjacent to the courts — for you to set up food tables. You must, however, bring your own tables and clean up after yourselves.
Please — no electrical appliances such as crock pots at either location.
Children under 10 are admitted free. All others will need to pay a $5/person entrance fee.
There should be sufficient parking on site for this tournament. If the front lot is full, there is room — along with a second entrance — to the rear of the building.
SVC has two overflow alternatives in the event that ours is full — across Hembree Road in the Alpharetta Public Works Building, or the building immediately south of SVC – in the Endochoice lot. Please do NOT park in the lot across the street serving AT&T, and do NOT park on the grass, in a reserved spot, or in a handicap spot (unless you display the proper credential), as violators will be towed. Please realize that Southern Volleyball Center is not the only occupant of the building; we ask you to respect the property and the rights of the other tenants by:
- NOT parking on the grass or any reserved or handicap spots. If you violate this request you will be towed.
- Staying away from trucks and trailers parked in the truck court to the rear of the building
- Picking up your own trash when you break down and put it in the dumpster.
We look forward to a fun and instructive early-season event. If you have questions in the meantime, please contact one of the following: