The sanctioning body for the 2017 Mizuno Southern Dream will again be the Amateur Athletic Union — “AAU”. Indeed, it will be an AAU Super Regional Event, meaning that winners of their respective age groups will have the registration fees (or pro-rata portion thereof — see below) for the 2017 AAU National Championships paid for. The details:
When — Competition will commence on Saturday, January 14th and conclude on MLK Day, Monday, January 16, 2017.
Where — We will compete in two venues: Suwanee Sports Academy (“SSA”) and Southern Volleyball Center (“SVC”). Check the schedule to see where your team plays. They will play in the same venue all three days.
Coaches Meeting — There will be none. Rather, we ask that you check your team in at the tournament desk upon arrival, at which time we will give you a hard copy of the Coaches Packet, which we ask that you review in detail. If you’d like to get ahead of the game, you may download and review by pressing this link: dream-coaches-packet-2017
Gate — Adults will be charged $7/day; $15 for a weekend pass. Children under 10 are free. Wrist bands are honored at both venues.
At SSA: There will be no food tables this year. The cafe will be open and offering a wide variety of healthy snacks and food. You may pack food and drink in your backpacks and purses to bring into the facility, but we ask that platters of food, centerpieces, decorations, tables and coolers stay in the car, as the past practice of reserving tables for participating teams has proven to create more problems than it has solved. The tables in the cafe area are to be used by cafe customers. If you choose to sit there, please simply eat your meal and relinquish your seat to another hungry spectator as soon as you are done.
At SVC: We have no concessions at SVC, so food tables will be allowed. That said, room is limited and teams will be restricted to 1/2 table per team. SVC will provide the tables.
- Parking at SSA is limited. While early-birds should be able to park on site without problem, those arriving later and/or as the a.m. wave is shifting to the p.m.,may have to park on Burnette Rd. or one of its arterial streets. The lower lot is available as well; we will have signage. Please do not park in the upper church lot; again we will have signage. If you park on Burnette Rd., make sure that your tires are fully off the road and on the shoulder. Please do not park in the parking lot of a nearby business, as they may tow you.
- As with SSA, the parking lot is expected to fill up at SVC. There exists parking to the rear of the building. Please spare our staff the unpleasant necessity of towing your car by:
- NOT parking in a space reserved for our contiguous tenants
- NOT parking in the grass
- NOT blocking anyone in — even for a minute.
AAU Rules & Benefits
- All participants—club, coaches and players–must be members of AAU
- The winner in each division (power and club; presuming 12 or more teams) will receive a free entry fee to the 2016 AAU National Championships in Orlando or the West Coast. For divisions of less than 12 teams, the entry fee paid for by AAU is pro-rated. (Other limitations apply and are enumerated in the AAUVolleyball-SuperRegionalGrandPrix-Guidelines)
- Rules of the AAU National Championships must be followed, including but not limited to:
- All participants must meet age requirements – no waivers
- Boys are not permitted to play on girls’ teams
- The libero player may serve in one rotation in a set
- Additional rules as outlined in the AAU Volleyball Handbook
Schedule/Waves — The schedule will be posted and results continuously updated on advancedeventsystems.com.
Coaches Meeting — There will be no coaches meeting at this tournament. Rather, we will give coaches one coaches packet per team upon check-in, and of course it is uploadable by pressing the link above. This packet contains a detailed description of each division’s format, along with information that will be of use for all tournament participants and spectators.
Winners Invited to Beast — Winners of the Power Division of the Dream will automatically secure a Champion’s Exemption to the prestigious Beast of the Southeast Tournament of Champions in 2018. The only other way to secure an automatic invitation to Beast is to qualify for USAV Nationals or roll the dice and hope for an at-large invitation. Yet another reason to be Dreamin’ on MLK weekend.
If you do not find the information you need on this page please feel free to contact Kurt Matthews at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help point you in the right direction.