The sanctioning body for the 2018 Mizuno Southern Dream will again be the Amateur Athletic Union — “AAU”. Indeed, it will be an AAU Super Regional Event, meaning that winners of their respective age groups will have the registration fees (or pro-rata portion thereof — see below) for the 2018 AAU National Championships paid for. The details:
When — Competition will commence on Saturday, January 13th and conclude on MLK Day, Monday, January 15, 2017. Registration opens on October 1, 2017 on advancedeventsystems.com
Where — We will compete in two venues: Suwanee Sports Academy (“SSA”) and another venue to be announced. Teams will play in the same venue all three days.
Coaches Meeting — There will be no coaches meeting at this tournament. Rather, we will give coaches one coaches packet per team upon check-in, and of course it is uploadable by pressing the link above. This packet contains a detailed description of each division’s format, along with information that will be of use for all tournament participants and spectators.
Gate — Adults will be charged $10/day; $20 for a weekend pass. Children under 10 are free. Wrist bands are honored at both venues.
Hotels — Though the Southern Dream is not a stay-to-play event, we have blocked out rooms close to the venue for the convenience of our guests:
Courtyard by Marriott
310 Celebration Ave, Suwanee, GA 30024
770-831-7473 ($119/night with breakfast included)
Please call hotel directly and ask for a room in the Southern Dream Block
At SSA: Team food tables are not permitted. The cafe will be open and offering a wide variety of healthy snacks and food. You may pack food and drink in your backpacks and purses to bring into the facility, but we ask that platters of food, centerpieces, decorations, tables and coolers stay in the car, as the past practice of reserving tables for participating teams has proven to create more problems than it has solved. The tables in the cafe area are to be used by cafe customers. If you choose to sit there, please simply eat your meal and relinquish your seat to another hungry spectator as soon as you are done.
- Parking at SSA is limited. While early-birds should be able to park on site without problem, those arriving later and/or as the a.m. wave is shifting to the p.m.,may have to park on Burnette Rd. or one of its arterial streets. The lower lot is available as well; we will have signage. Please do not park in the upper church lot; again we will have signage. If you park on Burnette Rd., make sure that your tires are fully off the road and on the shoulder. Please do not park in the parking lot of a nearby business, as they may tow you.
Admission (both venues): Same as last year–$10/day or $20 for the 3-day weekend. Wrist bands are good for admission at all locations.
AAU Rules & Benefits
- All participants—club, coaches and players–must be members of AAU
- The winner in each division (power and club; presuming 12 or more teams) will receive a free entry fee to the 2016 AAU National Championships in Orlando or the West Coast. For divisions of less than 12 teams, the entry fee paid for by AAU is pro-rated. (Other limitations apply and are enumerated in the AAUVolleyball-SuperRegionalGrandPrix-Guidelines)
- Rules of the AAU National Championships must be followed, including but not limited to:
- All participants must meet age requirements – no waivers
- Boys are not permitted to play on girls’ teams
- The libero player may serve in one rotation in a set
- Additional rules as outlined in the AAU Volleyball Handbook
Schedule/Waves — The schedule will be posted a week prior to the event and results continuously updated on advancedeventsystems.com.
Winners Invited to Beast — Winners of the Power Division of the Dream will automatically secure a Champion’s Exemption to the prestigious Beast of the Southeast Tournament of Champions in 2018. The only other way to secure an automatic invitation to Beast is to qualify for USAV Nationals or roll the dice and hope for an at-large invitation. Yet another reason to be Dreamin’ on MLK weekend.
If you do not find the information you need on this page please feel free to contact Briana Johnson at email@example.com and she can help point you in the right direction.