2018 marks the seventh annual running of the Kudzu Klassik . This tournament has tripled in size since its debut in 2011, and has become one of the season’s staples.
Registration will open on AES on October 15th.
The competition schedule will be posted on AES not later than the Tuesday prior to the event. In order to work around the Southern Regional Championship, Kudzu will be held on two weekends:
- 13 Power and higher will be held on April 14 – 15 — two weeks after Big South and one week prior to SRVA Regionals — accordingly, a perfect warm-up for one of the most important tournaments of the season.
- 10, 11, 12 & 13 Club — along with 12 Power — will be held April 28 – 29 — the ideal season-ending tournament for these younger divisions.
Location — Southern Volleyball Center will serve as the tournament’s home base, with play also occurring at high school gyms in Atlanta’s northern suburbs. We’ll have a trainer on site at SVC, but if you need a trainer’s attention and will be competing at one of the other five locations, you’ll have to stop by SVC before or after you play. If you need your ankles taped you must bring your own tape.
While we have no stay-to-play policy at this tournament, we have blocked out rooms for teams competing at this event. Most hotels will offer a breakfast, kid friendly services, budget conscious rates, and amenities to enhance your stay. Each hotel is strategically located just minutes from the tournament venue.
If your team will be playing at Southern Volleyball Center (SVC)
Fairfield Inn and Suites Alpharetta
11385 Haynes Bridge Rd
Alpharetta, GA 30004
$74/nt breakfast included
Please call hotel and ask for a room in the Kudzu Klassic block or click here for the on-line housing form:
If you need a block for your team, please call Susan Holbrook 678-300-6509
Cost — $375
An entrance fee of $5/person/day will be charged.
Coaches Meeting – There will be no coaches meeting at this tournament. Rather, we ask that coaches download and review the 2017 Kudzu Coaches Packet. This packet contains a detailed description of each division’s format, along with information that will be of use for all tournament participants and spectators.
Food tables are allowed. Please view the policies of each venue on the appropriate tab.
One last note about food tables. We would like to continue to allow them as a convenience to tournament attendees. While they present few problems during pool play on Saturday, they have become a source of aggravation on Sunday. What happens is that those teams that play early on Sunday take the available table space, and those who play later in the day arrive before the early-playing teams have left, spawning complaints and in many instances unacceptably rude behavior. Accordingly, we ask those teams playing at SVC to adhere to the following guidelines:
- If you play early, please remove your stuff from the tables and clean up behind you as soon as your team has completed play (NOT after they have completed their final reffing assignment).
- If you play later and arrive before food tables have cleared, please be patient. It may take a few hours, but they will clear. Feed your kids before arriving at the venue.
- If you simply can’t wait, set your table up outside. Tailgating is a popular solution when the weather is nice. (Please don’t take a parking spot, though, as parking, too, is limited.)
- In all instances, please clean up the mess you have caused as best you can.
Team food tables at volleyball tournaments are a charming tradition that exists only in the South, but in venues that are space-constrained they seem to have become a source of aggravation rather than an amenity. If teams adhere to the above guidelines we will be able continue the tradition at our tournaments, but if food tables continue to be the focus of complaints, frustration and rude behavior, we will simply do what the rest of the country does and disallow them. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
Tournament Logistics & Operations Briana Johnson, SVT Administrator email@example.com (404) 683-9494
Scheduling & Registration Questions Michael Fletcher – Tournament Director firstname.lastname@example.org 404.936.6723
Housing Information Denise Corrigan – Housing Director email@example.com 678.386.9766