The sanctioning body for the 2019 Mizuno Southern Dream will again be the Amateur Athletic Union — “AAU”. Indeed, it will be an AAU Super Regional Event, meaning that winners of their respective age groups will have the registration fees (or pro-rata portion thereof — see below) for the 2019 AAU National Championships paid for. The details:
When — Competition will commence on Saturday, January 19th and conclude on MLK Day, Monday, January 21, 2019. Registration will open October 1, 2018 through Advanced Event Systems.
Where — We will compete in two or more venues: Suwanee Sports Academy (“SSA”) and other to-be-determined facilities if demand warrants.
Venues/Waves/Schedule — we will endeavor to post waves and venues a month prior to the event to facilitate hotel reservations for those traveling from out of town. The competitive schedule will be posted the weekend prior to the event on AES.
Coaches Meeting — There will be no coaches meeting at this tournament. Rather, we will give coaches one coaches packet per team upon check-in, and it will be upploadable by pressing on this web page. This packet will contain a detailed description of each division’s format, along with information that will be of use for all tournament participants and spectators.
Gate — Adults will be charged $10/day; $20 for a weekend pass. Children under 10 are free. Wrist bands are honored at all venues.
Hotels — Though the Southern Dream is not a stay-to-play event, we have blocked out rooms close to the venue for the convenience of our guests:
Courtyard by Marriott
310 Celebration Ave, Suwanee, GA 30024
770-831-7473 ($119/night with breakfast included)
Please call hotel directly and ask for a room in the Southern Dream Block. If you are competing at SVC, you may prefer to stay at:
Fairfield Inn and Suites
11385 Haynes Bridge Road
Alpharetta, GA 30022
770-663-4000; $79/nt includes breakfast
At SSA: Team food tables are not permitted. The cafe will be open and offering a wide variety of healthy snacks and food. You may pack food and drink in your backpacks and purses to bring into the facility, but we ask that platters of food, centerpieces, decorations, tables and coolers stay in the car, as the past practice of reserving tables for participating teams has proven to create more problems than it has solved. The tables in the cafe area are to be used by cafe customers. If you choose to sit there, please simply eat your meal and relinquish your seat to another hungry spectator as soon as you are done.
- SVC has no concessions. Accordingly, teams may set up food tables in the facility. Space is limited, though, so we will provide the tables. Each team will be limited to 1/2 table.
- Parking at SSA is limited. While early-birds should be able to park on site without problem, those arriving later and/or as the a.m. wave is shifting to the p.m.,may have to park on Burnette Rd. or one of its arterial streets. The lower lot is available as well; we will have signage. Please do not park in the upper church lot; again we will have signage. If you park on Burnette Rd., make sure that your tires are fully off the road and on the shoulder. Please do not park in the parking lot of a nearby business, as they may tow you. Drivers should either come early to get a spot, or drop your passengers off at the front door, but bring your walking shoes.
- Parking at SVC is limited as well. There is parking to the rear of the building, but if that lot fills as well, please park in the Endochoice lot just to the South of the facility. We will have a parking attendant on duty to help guide you.
AAU Rules & Benefits
- All participants—club, coaches and players–must be members of AAU
- The winner in each division (power and club; presuming 12 or more teams) will receive a free entry fee to the 2016 AAU National Championships in Orlando or the West Coast. For divisions of less than 12 teams, the entry fee paid for by AAU is pro-rated. (Other limitations apply and are enumerated in the AAUVolleyball-SuperRegionalGrandPrix-Guidelines)
- Rules of the AAU National Championships must be followed, including but not limited to:
- All participants must meet age requirements – no waivers
- Boys are not permitted to play on girls’ teams
- The libero player may serve in one rotation in a set
- Additional rules as outlined in the AAU Volleyball Handbook
Artificial Noise — Please do not bring boom boxes, air horns, bells or the like into the gym.
Winners Invited to Beast — Winners of the Power Division of the Dream will automatically secure a Champion’s Exemption to the prestigious Beast of the Southeast Tournament of Champions in 2018. The only other way to secure an automatic invitation to Beast is to qualify for USAV Nationals or roll the dice and hope for an at-large invitation. Yet another reason to be Dreamin’ on MLK weekend.
If you do not find the information you need on this page please feel free to contact Briana Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org and she can help point you in the right direction.