The Super Bowl in Georgia is wreaking havoc with volleyball tournaments. Big South is over two weekends and slightly later than normal, which has created an opportunity to introduce our first Chattanooga-based tournament — Rock the Mountain Classic. Hopefully the first of many.
Divisions & Venues
We offer the following TENTATIVE wave and venue assignments to facilitate schedule planning and hotel arrangements. Please understand that registrations continue to trickle in and it is possible the assignments will change, so check back once in awhile and definitely after the schedule is posted.
- 11/12C, 12P a.m. wave Notre Dame Academy
- 13C a.m. wave Boyd Buchanan School
- 14C a.m. & p.m. waves Girls Preparatory School (“GPS”)
- 13/14P p.m. wave Notre Dame Academy
- 15/16C p.m. wave split between Baylor and GPS
- 15P p.m. wave Boyd Buchanan School
- 17/18C a.m. & p.m. waves Baylor
Schedule will be posted not later than the Tuesday prior to the tournament.
There will be no coaches meeting prior to the commencement of competition. Rather, we post a coaches packet the week of the event which we ask that coaches download and review in its entirety. We also ask that coaches check in to the tournament desk near the entrance to the facility at least 30 minutes prior to the commencement of competition.
Registration will open on 10/15/18
Gate: Gate — Spectators — including “team reps” and “chaperones” — whether rostered or not — must pay $5/day to spectate.
Food tables: You may set tables up outside at most venues.
One note about food tables. We would like to continue to allow them as a convenience to our customers. While they present few problems during pool play on Saturday, they have become a source of aggravation on Sunday. What happens is that those teams that play early on Sunday take the available table space, and those who play later in the day arrive before the early-playing teams have left, spawning complaints and in many instances unacceptably rude behavior. Accordingly, we ask teams to adhere to the following guidelines:
- If you play early, please remove your stuff from the tables and clean up behind you as soon as your team has completed play (NOT after they have completed their final reffing assignment).
- If you play later and arrive before food tables have cleared, please be patient. It may take a few hours, but they will clear. Feed your kids before arriving at the venue.
- If you simply can’t wait, set your table up outside. Tailgating is a popular solution when the weather is nice.
- In all instances, please clean up the mess you have caused as best you can.
Team food tables at volleyball tournaments are a charming tradition that exists only in the South, but in venues that are space-constrained they seem to have become a source of aggravation rather than an amenity. If teams adhere to the above guidelines we will be able continue the tradition at our tournaments, but if food tables continue to be the focus of complaints, frustration and rude behavior, we will simply do what the rest of the country does and disallow them. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
Hotels – It has not yet been determined where each age group will be playing so have secured a block of rooms at a hotel downtown that will be not too far from all three venues.
Courtyard Chattanooga Downtown- 200 Chestnut Street, Chattanooga TN $159 per night with breakfast included.
Please call 423-755-0871 and ask for a room in the Rock the Mountain Volleyball Block or click on the following link
Artificial Noise — Please do not bring boom boxes, air horns, bells or the like into the gym.
Tournament Logistics & Operations Briana Johnson, SVT Administrator firstname.lastname@example.org (404) 683-9494
Scheduling & Registration Questions Michael Fletcher – Tournament Director email@example.com 404.936.6723
Housing Information Denise Corrigan – Housing Director firstname.lastname@example.org 678.386.9766