We are excited to offer our signature tournament — Beast of the Southeast — for the 12th consecutive year. Beast will again be a National Qualifier for the 18-Open, 18-USA and American divisions. Thus, for the 18’s:
- It is not necessary to be invited. If you want to attend, simply register on advancedeventsystems.com. Registration opens on October 1st.
- It will be a three-day National Qualifier (Friday – Sunday, 2/22 – 24)
- 2 bids to the USAV National Championship tournament will be awarded in the 18 Open division; 3 bids will be awarded in 18 USA; 1 in 18 American.
- Cost is $725 for the 18’s, who will be playing a three-day National Qualifier format.
For more info about National Qualifiers and the National Championship Tournament for the 18’s division, please visit this website: http://www.teamusa.org/usa-volleyball/events/indoor/girls/2017-girls-junior-national-qualifiers/girls-18-qualifiers
Beast will remain a two-day (2/23 – 24) invitational tournament for 17’s and below. Invitations will be extended during the months of August, and we hope to have the competitive field finalized by the end of September. We have revised our invitation protocol in recognition of the number of fine clubs in the Southeast and beyond who choose to play a JVA/AAU schedule rather than trying to qualify for USAV Nationals. Though Beast will remain a USAV event, it is not our desire to exclude top teams from the tournament because they choose not to play a USAV qualifier schedule. Nor do we desire to admit weaker teams who accepted a USAV bid but are not otherwise competitive with the field. Blow-outs benefit no one.
Beast has traditionally been able to attract most of the best teams from throughout the Southeast–from Louisiana, Memphis, D.C., Raleigh, Miami and every significant market in between. And owing to its National Qualifier status, we now attract clubs from all over the U.S.
Please note that Beast of the Southeast is a Stay and Play Tournament — both for the U18’s Qualifier as well as 17’s and under. We are using Team Travel Source housing company for all of reservations this year.
We will be using two locations again this year. The venues are almost 50 miles apart so please book hotel rooms closest to your venue
18’s Qualifier – 18 Open, 18 USA and 18 American Divisions
- Georgia International Convention Center in Atlanta GA
- Friday, Feb 22 thru Sunday Feb 24th
14, 15’s, 16’s 17’s Beast of the Southeast Invitational
- Georgia International Convention Center in Atlanta GA
- Saturday, Feb 23 and Sunday Feb 24th
12’s and 13’s Beast of the Southeast Tournament
- Southern Volleyball Center in Alpharetta GA
- Saturday, Feb 23 and Sunday Feb 24th
To Book Rooms:
- Click on appropriate tournament
- Click on Book an individual room or request a block of rooms
- Select hotel and make reservation
Please make sure to list your club and team when making the reservations
If you have questions that remain after reviewing the link, please feel free to contact SVT Housing Coordinator Denise Corrigan at email@example.com
Recruiting — if previous years are any indication, we can expect 100 – 150 college coaches to be scouting 14’s and above on GICC’s 28 courts. We ask that coaches stop by the registration desk, where they will be given a (free) wristband in exchange for their registering with us. The tournament is University Athlete-friendly.
Venue — Importantly, all of the athletes of recruitable age will compete under one roof, enabling college coaches to scout the best prospective student-athletes from the Southeast in a time-efficient, enjoyable manner. 14’s and older will be competing at the Georgia International Convention Center (“GICC”), located near Atlanta’s airport — NOT to be confused with Georgia World Congress Center in downtown Atlanta. The GICC location will eliminate the need for college coaches or out-of-town teams to rent vans and cars, and will likewise knock an hour or more off each leg of the trip.
12’s and 13’s will play at the Southern Volleyball Center in Alpharetta (north Atlanta suburbs).
Parking — $5/day or $10 with in-and-out privileges at GICC; free at SVC. On-site parking at SVC is limited. We will have a parking attendant on duty to direct you to contiguous parking lots. Please do not violate the highly visible “no parking” signs that will be posted in sensitive areas, as such action is likely to result in your car being towed.
Schedule — Will be posted not later than the Tuesday prior to the event.
Waves — we provide the following — tentative — projections to facilitate hotel reservations:
- 18 Open competes in the a.m. wave on Friday. They will play in the a.m. wave on Saturday if they remain in contention for the Championship; otherwise they will play in the p.m. wave.
- 18 American competes in the p.m. wave on Friday. They will play in the a.m. wave on Saturday if they remain in contention for the Championship; otherwise they will play in the p.m. wave.
- 18 USA will be split between the a.m. and p.m. waves. We won’t know which teams play in which wave until we post the schedule. They will play in the a.m. wave on Saturday if they remain in contention for the Championship; otherwise they will play in the p.m. wave.
- 12 Open, 15 Open and 17 Open will compete in the a.m. wave on Saturday
- 13 Open, 14 Open and 16 Open will play in the p.m. wave on Saturday (though it is possible that one pool in the 13 Open division will be played in the a.m.)
What time should I schedule flights out of Atlanta? All we can tell you this far out — when registrations are still coming in and we don’t even know the size of the field — is the following:
- The last match will be scheduled to conclude not later than 5 p.m.
- Sometimes a few of the courts run behind — occasionally by as much as an hour.
- The venue is connected to the airport. You can finish a match, take the sky train and be at the check-in gate in 15 minutes.
- THEREFORE…. we think everyone will be safe in scheduling flights that depart 7:30 p.m. or later
Tournament Format; Coaches Meeting – There will be no coaches meeting at this tournament. Rather, we ask that coaches download the coaches packet – beast – 2018 in advance of the tournament. This packet contains a detailed description of each division’s format, along with information that will be of use for all tournament participants and spectators. We will have hard copies on hand at check-in for those who arrive without having done their homework.
Certified Athletic Trainers will be on site from about 7:00 a.m. through the close of competition. If you need to have your ankles wrapped you will need to bring your own tape.
Winners Invited to Beast — Winners of this tournament receive a Champion’s Exemption–an automatic invitation to the 2019 Beast of the Southeast.
Admission — Spectators — including “chaperones” and “team reps” — whether rostered or not — will be charged $15/day for admittance to the tournament, or $35 for all three days, or $25 for a two-day (Sat./Sun) pass. Players, coaches, college coaches and children under 10 will be admitted without cost. Doors will open at 7:00 a.m.
Check-in — Teams competing at GICC are able, but not required, to check in the evening prior to competition commencing. We will man the registration desk from 5 p.m. until 9 p.m. for that purpose. If checking in the night prior to competition presents a hardship due to travel schedules or other reasons, teams competing in the a.m. wave may check in at 7 a.m. the day of competition, and teams in the p.m. wave may check in any time after noon.
Teams competing at SVC are to check in the morning (or afternoon, as the case may be) of competition.
The tournament will furnish wrist bands to every coach and player listed on a team’s roster at check-in. Parents, spectators, chaperones, team reps, etc. will all need to pay the admission charge to get their wrist bands. All individuals seeking entrance to the competition halls must be wearing their wrist bands.
Rosters — Please ensure that your rosters are uploaded onto AES. We will have printed copies for you to review and sign upon check-in.
Food Tables — Sorry, but GICC does not allow food tables. A wide variety of food will be available on site. Food tables are allowed at SVC, and 1/2 table/team will be furnished by the venue. Please do not bring your own tables into the building as there is not room for them.
Warm-up Volleyballs — In previous years we have furnished warm-up volleyballs to all teams, but this has become a hassle as the tournament has grown, in that not all teams have been respectful about shagging balls or using just the number that we furnished. Accordingly, we are able to furnish warm-up volleyballs only to teams traveling by air. Affected coaches will need to trade your driver’s license for a bag of balls, and will be able to retrieve the license only when all of the balls are accounted for and turned in.
Artificial Noise — Please do not bring boom boxes, air horns, bells or the like into the gym.
Questions? Call or email one of the undersigned:
Tournament Logistics & Registration Briana Johnson – Tournament Administrator
Scheduling Michael Fletcher – Tournament Director 404.936.6723
Housing Information Denise Corrigan – Housing Coordinator 678.386.9766
On-site questions or issues Phil Teknipp – Tournament Co-Director 440-413-7911